Rockstar Game Tips: Red Dead Cooperative Mission Strategies (Part 1)
(A posse begins a cooperative mission, smartly staying together and dropping enemies from a distance...)
Red Dead Redemption's first and free pack of downloadable content, The Outlaws to the End Co-Op Missions Pack, features six cooperative missions that take place in different areas of the epic open world. Whether it's assaulting Fort Mercer to rescue a farmer's daughter in The Kidnapped Girl, or riding a raft with your posse to rid the land of weapon caches in The River, or going after treasure in Walton's Gold, Outlaws to the End provides a variety of action-packed challenges for you and your friends online.
We recently held a weekend of Red Dead Social Club multiplayer events, playing a few of the missions with gamers worldwide, and we've gathered some general tips that will get you get through the missions and help to keep you alive so that you're able to finish each one as masterfully and dominantly as possible.
- Keep everyone together and appoint a leader. If you want to stay alive and complete the missions with a Gold goal in mind, it can't be every man for himself. Always keep in mind the key word, "cooperative".
- Watch for fallen posse members and revive them if needed. The game will let you know in large letters in the center of the screen when a member of your posse has fallen. Run over to the person and revive them by pressing Triangle on PlayStation 3 or Y on Xbox 360.
- Use cover to regenerate health if your screen turns red. Look for rocks, hills, stagecoaches... whatever you can find to hide behind.
- Be careful when approaching a fallen friend as you may need to take out nearby enemies to avoid the same fate. Your teammate died for a reason, and it might just be at the hands of that enemy that's manning the Gatling gun around the corner.
- If you take the reins of a stagecoach, hold 'A' on the Xbox 360 or 'X' on the PlayStation 3 while aiming. This will keep the stagecoach automatically steering and moving down the correct path, allowing you to concentrate on shooting. This works in both single player and multiplayer.
(While playing "The Kidnapped Girl" during July 13th's Red Dead Social Club PSN event, RedDeadDev3 was able to survey the area and fire his rifle while in the drivers seat by aiming while holding X, helping RedDeadDev4 and Killer_Disease fight off enemies.)
- Choose the right class for the particular mission you're about to enter. For example, while Miner is great for Walton's Gold, it's likely not the best class for The River or The Herd.
- The class 'No Holds Barred' is only available in Advanced Cooperative Missions. In order to unlock Advanced Cooperative Missions, you must first play through and beat each of the six normal Cooperative Missions.
Next time we'll go through some of the specific missions, laying out tips to help you prevail in each one. If you've got great Co-op tips to share, let's have 'em in the comments.
Rockstar Game Tips: Hunting Wildlife in Red Dead Redemption (Part 3)
Rockstar Game Tips: Hunting Wildlife in Red Dead Redemption (Part 2)
Rockstar Game Tips: Hunting Wildlife in Red Dead Redemption (Part 1)
Rockstar Game Tips: Red Dead Redemption's Free Roam Challenges Part 3 (Lawbringer and Survivalist)
Rockstar Game Tips: Red Dead Redemption's Free Roam Challenges Part 2 (Outlaw)
Rockstar Game Tips: Free Roam Challenges Part 1 (Hunting & Sharpshooting)
Rockstar Game Tips: Dueling like a Pro in Red Dead Redemption
Rockstar Game Tips: Red Dead Redemption Quick Tips