Rockstar Game Tips: Get Good, Real Good, at The Warriors
A real live bunch they may be, but getting The Warriors back to Coney is no cakewalk, not with 60,000 Flashed-up street soldiers baying for retribution. Here are our tips to surviving the night - and remember that The Warriors is now available to download from PlayStation Store as part of the PS2 Classics collection.
- Stay tuned, Boppers: Pay close attention to the tutorial at the start of the game, as this will teach you the combat basics that will get you through the tougher stages later on. If you do forget anything, head to Controls > Tutorial from the Start menu.
- The Chicks are packed: Many of the objects littering the streets - bottles, trashcans, wrenches etc. - can be used as weapons. Generally, these weapons inflict more damage than a single hit, but you do lose the ability to string together combos and to defend yourself from the rear and side. In the frenzy of a mass brawl, you may find it better to rely on the weapons you were born with.
- Hit everything in sight: Rage Mode can be the difference between a pretty face and a smashed one. Attacks are more powerful with Rage and you are immune to damage for its duration. All basic attacks fill your Rage meter somewhat, but some do more than others. Check the Style Points table below to see which actions really get the blood boiling.
- Real tough: Some boss enemies have powerful melee attacks. In a one-on-one, keep your distance and throw any weapons you find at them. Not only will this wear them down, it will fill your Rage meter. When it's full, get up close and wreck their punk ass.
- Who are The Warriors?: Know your allies - each member has different physical attributes and skills, and playing these to your advantage may be the edge you need to beat a difficult mission.
- I want them all: Whichever character you're controlling, the rest of The Warriors have your back, so use the Commands to your advantage. If a rival gang has one particularly strong soldier (maybe they're carrying a weapon), then lock onto them and issue the 'Wreck 'Em All' Command to have them battered before you've even thrown a punch. If you're short on time and cash, shout 'Mayhem' in a store to have it emptied quicker than a Flash dealer's overcoat.
- Come out to play: Coney Bonus Missions are timed challenges that are gradually unlocked as you play through the game's Story Mode. To find them, exit the Warriors Hangout and look for the purple mission icons on your radar. Complete these as soon as they become available, as the rewards will help you in the more difficult later stages.
- Can you count, suckas?: There are many unlockables to discover throughout the game, some of which require you to beat the high score set for each level. To do this, you'll want to master Style Points: bonuses granted for specific actions during gameplay. Here's the breakdown of which actions yield the most Style Points:
|Smash small item (box, garbage can, bus bench etc.)||5|
|Smash car part (window, door, hood, trunk, fender)||10|
|Pick a lock||10|
|Handcuff an opponent||30|
|Smash storefront or phone booth window||50|
|Toss an enemy into a wall||60 (also builds Rage)|
|Smash counter||75 (also builds Rage)|
|Smash a bottle over an opponent||75 (also builds Rage)|
|Tandem attack||100 (also builds Rage)|
|Smash in-store display case||100|
|Steal car radio||100|
|Toss an enemy through a window||100|
|Stealth kill||100 (also builds Rage)|
|Toss an enemy from a rooftop||150|
|Toss an enemy into a car||150|
|Smash an ememy's face into a wall||150 (also builds Rage)|
|Steal a hat from a rival gang||150|
|Steal a hat from a cop||200|
|Complete a tag without having to restart||1000|
|Pick a lock without setting off the alarm||1000|
- I'm sick of runnin': If you or one of your numbers commits a crime, don't expect the police to let it slide. If they're on your tail, then you have three options: fight (and good luck against the armed officers), run away or hide in the shadows. If you decide to flee, cut corners and take to the rooftops whenever possible. Cops can climb, but they're not agile as The Warriors, so use this to your advantage.
- Lookin' good, Warriors: Inside the Warriors Hangout you'll find an exercise area. Complete workouts at all four stations to boost your equipped Warrior's fitness level by one. Levels five and 10 each give a helpful boost in Stamina, allowing you to sprint for longer and pull off power moves and combos with ease.
- You see what you get?: Throw a buck to those in need once in a while. You never know who might have your back later on, or point you in the right direction...
Abide by these streetwise pearls and you should be back in Coney safe and sound. If you need help with a specific mission, hit us up in the comments or via Mouthoff.